Hi. I’m Melanie Buffett. Welcome to my YogaBirds Pilates blog/world.
2020 is a year for employing clear vision, creating space, and enjoying movement.
Classical Yoga philosophy and two decades of practicing in the Iyengar style informs every modality of movement/fitness that I do or teach. YogaBirdsPilates 2020 is the patchwork of all that I have done thus far… that beautiful place where yoga and pilates cross paths … meet me there!
My aim as a mindful movement guide is to continue my own personal daily moving meditation practices on the reformer, on the roller, and on the mat – a commitment that makes me an honest, intuitive, and effective movement instructor. Since 2002 I have taught group movement classes (up to 80 people) and it’s one of my biggest pleasures. I also revel in teaching Yoga, Pilates, and Roller in the one-on-one philosophy of TKV Desikachar, son of Krishmacharya, contemporary of Pattabhi Jois and BKS Iyengar.
With daily practice I feel more awake to reality and deal with challenges more gracefully. I experience a quiet mind, more clarity, and less fear. Physically I am strong and have good energy flow almost everyday. Some days I am truly tired, and I am becoming better at listening to the wisdom within telling me when to restore. This matters as I cross into my 50’s soon. Despite my deep concern for the future of the planet and well-being of humanity, movement practice supports and helps me to continue to love daily life.
Since 2002 I have taught yoga from Los Angeles to Lower Alabama to Varanasi, India. I’ve travelled the world with touring musicians as a movement guide. My home base is New Orleans where I offer yoga, pilates, and roller privately by referral. I probably spend too much time on social media. I never turn down a cup of coffee or an opportunity to fly.
I look forward to a new decade more full of creating space to breathe, creating space to create, enjoying senses, deeply appreciating family and friends, and finding more meaning in everyday life. It’s been a journey arriving at this place of contentment. I just kept on and will keep on moving. If you’d like to join me on the journey, visit @yogabirdspilates IGTV for yoga, pilates, and roller videos posted regularly and live.
I feel lucky to be alive and well. Thank you for joining me on the journey.
Teaching And Studies
- April 2013-October 2019 Instructor at Romney Studios; Pilates, Yoga, Roller, Megaformer, Romney Ride
- June 2016-April 2017 Power Pilates Comprehensive Certification
- May 2016 Licensed Fletcher Pilates Barre, Floorwork, Towelwork
- May 2016 Lagree Megaformer Training and Certification
- Nov 2012 – 2014 Featured Yoga Presenter at The Mahabhuta Yoga Festival in Pensacola, FL
- March 2012 Lead yoga teacher on Redback Travels Yoga Adventures India Tour
- Yoga Birds RYT200 Trainings (2010, 2011, 2012, 2014)
- 2009 Created the curriculum and wrote the manual for a RYT200 Hatha YogaTraining at Yoga Birds (RYS200)
- Anusara Principles of Alignment
- Ashtanga Vinyasa Led Primary Series
- Iyengar Influenced Alignment Yoga Classes With Props
- Restorative Yoga Classes
- Kirtan / Mantra
- 2002 Certified Madd Dogg Athletics Spin Instructor
Yoga/Pilates Studies and Lineages
- 2017 Power Pilates Comprehensive Certification
- 2012 – present Yoga Anatomy with Leslie Kaminoff at The Breathing Project NYC
- 2012 ERYT500 Yoga Alliance status
- 2012 Harmonium Basics Training, Kripalu with Daniel Tucker of Kirtan Central
- 2012 International Yoga Festival, Rishikesh India
- 2011 Redback Travels India Tour with Desiree Rumbaugh and Workshops at the Krishnamacharya YogaMandir, Chennai India
- 2007 – 2011 500 Hours Anusara Yoga Teacher Training (Anusara-Inspired 2009)
- 2006 Hatha Yoga Teacher Training (RYT200) Yoga Yoga, Austin TX
- 2005 Ayurveda & Thai Yoga Massage Training, Lotus Palm School Montreal, Canada
- 2004 Anusara Yoga and Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga intensive stidies
- 2003 Thai Yoga Therapy I & II Residential Training with Saul David Raye, White Lotus Institute
- 2001 – 2006 Iyengar Yoga at Audubon Yoga, Mid City Yoga, Yoga Bywater in New Orleans, LA. Jivamukti Yoga with Michele Baker, New Orleans, LA
- 1997 – 2001 Yoga Works Santa Monica & Iyengar Institute of Los Angeles, CA
“I found at Yoga Birds Melanie Buffett had cultivated an amazing kula (community). So when I was ready to start my teacher training Yoga Birds felt like the right place. Melanie’s experience and wisdom were invaluable in guiding me to find my inner voice and use it to guide others.”
Griffin, Yoga Teacher
“Melanie Buffett’s sincere passion for yoga is not only evident in her teaching, but also in her lifestyle. Her evolution as a teacher highlights her belief that studentship is the most important vehicle for leading others to authentic experiences. Innovative and knowledgeable, Melanie has a gift for asana sequencing. Her understanding of the vocabulary of the body allows her to deconstruct poses so students may find personal edges that speak to the truths within them. She balances sincere concern for safety with playful inquiry, gracefully leading students into the lab of the self.”
Leah, Yoga Teacher
“Melanie Buffett is a very special part of the gulf coast yoga community! She has taught me to do things that I would have never imagined with my body, breath, and mind! She helped me break through barriers that I had not even found in myself, which enabled me to rise to new heights! Through her skillful teaching, Melanie not only led me to my ultimate edge, she taught me how to stay there and find breath! Studying to be an RYT200 with Melanie was a joy as she shared her experience with wisdom and humor every step of the way! I bow to her in gratitude for all she has given to this yoga-thirsty region!”
Nadine, yoga teacher
“I have been practicing yoga with Melanie since the fall of 2009. My yoga practice has become strong while studying with Melanie. Melanie teaches yoga. Her understanding of the alignment principles, and her articulation of the principles has allowed me to safely work towards yoga poses I could have never imagined myself performing. Melanie is dedicated to the community of yoga. She has a light bubbly spirit, with a depth of knowledge that inspires me to want to do more. I am grateful for all of the hard work and commitment that Melanie has put into growing Yoga Birds. She has laid the foundation for many wonderful teachers in our area. I believe we all benefit by having a community of knowledgeable yoga teachers.”
Meryl, Feng Sui consultant
“Melanie changed my life! She is a true and life long friend and although I had done yoga before meeting her – she inspired my practice and faith in a higher being. A more qualified, caring, yoga professional does not exist! I love you Melanie Buffett!”
“Melanie’s intimate knowledge and dissemination of the Universal Principles of Alignment has influenced my Yoga practice as both a student and a teacher. I carry with me what I have learned every time I step on the mat.”
Teddy, yoga teacher