March 11 – October 2, 2011
Yoga Birds is a Registered Yoga School with Yoga Alliance (RYS 200). Students who successfully fulfill the requirements of the Yoga Birds Teacher Training program will receive a Graduation Certificate from Yoga Birds and may submit that to Yoga Alliance to become a Registered Yoga Teacher at the 200 Hour Level (RYT 200).
Mission of Yoga Birds Teacher Training
Yoga Birds Teacher Training mission is to offer a course for serious students and aspiring professional teachers of yoga to deepen their knowledge in the areas of yoga history, philosophy, asana and pranayama technique, meditation, ethics, teaching methodology, and the business of yoga. Yoga Birds teaching style is a synthesis of the teachings of BKS Iyengar, Pattabhi Jois, TKV Desikachar, Judith Lasater, John Friend, Donna Farhi, and Leslie Kaminoff. Graduates of the program will gain new insights of Self through heightened studentship, find their unique voices as teachers, and have sufficient training and practice to impart a safe, student-oriented, appropriate, practical, artfully sequenced, beneficial, and inspiring Western-style asana- yoga class, ultimately in service to the greater good of the community.
Course Topics Include:
- Philosophy, History, Lifestyle, and Ethics of Yoga
- Techniques of Asana Training and Practice
- Physical Anatomy and Physiology
- Eastern Subtle Body Anatomy
- The Art of Teaching Western Style Yoga Classes
- Special Topics (such as Teaching Sun Salutations, Yoga For Pregnancy, Injury Prevention in the Classroom, Importance of Sanskrit, Yoga and Nutrition, Yoga and Religion, Yoga Class Etiquette, The Business of Yoga, Yoga Documentary Screening and More)
2011 Teacher Training Dates
Saturdays 1- 6 pm
|March||11, 12, 13|
|April||1, 2, 3|
|April||15, 16, 17|
|May||20, 21, 22|
|June||3, 4, 5|
|June||17, 18, 19|
|July||8, 9, 10|
|July||22, 23, 24|
|Aug||5, 6, 7|
|Aug||19, 20, 21|
|Sept||9, 10, 11|
|Sept||23, 24, 25|
|Sept/Oct||30, 1, 2|
|Graduation||October 2, 2011, 4:30 – 6:30pm|
- Applicants to the program should have a year of regular yoga practice of asana to participate.
- Applicants must attend at least one class or workshop with Melanie prior to being accepted into the program.
- Included in the price of tuition of the program, all trainees will receive two 8-class packages ($216 Value) to be used within the duration of the course and a Yoga Birds Teacher Training Manual.
- The course is a big commitment. Attendance to all Teacher Training weekends is expected. Before receiving a Graduation Certificate, any missed sessions must be made up, at the student’s expense, through a combination of attending other RYT teacher training sessions, Yoga Birds workshops (approved by Melanie), or private sessions with Melanie, additional homework, and meeting with other YBTT participants to go over missed material. Students have 1 year to make up missed course work. Thereafter, students must reapply and repeat the entire course at full cost.
- Participants must attend at least two and observe a minimum of one Foundations of Yoga Class.
- Participants must attend at least two and observe a minimum of one Restorative Yoga Class. Participation in as many classes and workshops as possible is recommended.
- Participants are expected to have or begin home study practice from the start of the program. Three hours of home practice asana per week and 10 minutes meditation per day is required throughout the duration (and hopefully beyond) the training.
- Each participant must attend 20 public RYT-led classes during the duration of the program (in addition to home study).
- Each participant must keep a notebook of required written assignments, self-inquiry journal entries, classroom exercises, and lecture notes, and a log (with Teacher Name, Date, and class style) of the 20 public classes attended.
- Each participant will teach at least three complete yoga classes before completion of program (either in the public forum in a 60-minute Yoga Birds Apprentice Class or in the context of a 15, 30, or 60 minute Practice Teaching Session in the context of the training course. These classes will be assessed by currently teaching RYT’s and constructive, useful feedback will be given in service to heightened teaching skills of the teacher in training.
- Every meeting weekend will include discussion of reading assignments, written homework assignments, quizzes on Sanskrit, and practice teaching skills in ‘student oriented teaching’.
- There will be three exams administered throughout the session in service to the trainees processing and retaining as much of the vast amount of reading and coursework that is covered.
The texts for required reading are not included in the price of the program. All texts must be acquired before the start of the program. Please read the Introductions to all of the texts before the first Training Meeting.
Required Reading List (hover over titles for details):
The Heart of Yoga, T. K. V. Desikachar
Light on Yoga, B.K.S. Iyengar
Yoga Mala, K.Pattabhi Jois
30 Essential Yoga Poses, Judith Lasater
The Yoga Tradition, Georg Feurestein
Yoga Anatomy, Leslie Kaminoff
The Breathing Book, Donna Farhi
Hatha Yoga Illustrated, Martin Kirk, Brooke Boon, Daniel DiTuro
TUITION for the Yoga Birds Teacher Training Program is $2000. Payment Plans available. We accept Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and Debit Cards, Checks, and Cash.
Class Capacity is 16 students.