Some folks are wondering how I am going to present this weekend’s workshop material. Sun Salutations are supposed to be heating, and physically challenging. And Therapeutic yoga has a reputation for being of the ‘soft’. How can the two possibly meet and play nice in the same room?? It’s exactly that balance of practice that we will construct!
I have been applying principles of therapeutic yoga (that I have learned in a year-long training with Leslie Kaminoff) to my practice of Sun Salutations and classical yoga postures. And it has been nothing short of a Renaissance of Healing and Freedom in my 18 year long yoga practice.
Here is a brief outline of the workshop’s timeline, topics we will discuss, and applications we will weave into practice:
- Opening Harmonium Meditation
- Definitions of Yoga
- The ‘Unbridled Pursuit of Flexibility’ & Bringing your practice in to the present moment.
- Sun Salutations origin from Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga.
- Methodology of Ashtanga Shala & Mysore Practice.
- Traditional Surya Namaskar A & B … poses & sequence
- Role of Breath, Bandhas, & Drishti
- Role of the Poses
- Making modifications to poses & sequence to support and honor the primary application of breath, bandhas, and drishti
- Break down Ujjayi Pranayama
- Importance of consistent ujjayi pranayama…gives rhythm to the practice.
- Finding mula bandha
- Finding Uddiyana Bandha
- Power of Drishti
- Class inquiry…what hurts & when
- Modifying sequence per each student
- Full practice
Hope to see some of y’all there. Remember, all teachers receive a special Teacher Rate. There is a button for it on the registration page.
LOVE & YOGA, Melanie